[X4U] hp f4180 all-in-one scanner

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Fri Jun 27 18:12:50 PDT 2008

I'm trying to help somebody get an hp f4180 all-in-one scanner running
with Leopard. It's the scanner she really needs to run though she may at
some point use printer and copier. We've tried the install a couple of
times and it doesn't appear to be working. I have the following questions
if anybody can help.

1. With my canoscan lide60, every time I restart the computer with the
scanner plugged in, I know the driver is loaded because I hear scanner
noises when the computer restarts. With the hp f4180, should there also be
some auditory indication at startup or not.

2. Is there a test we can run to see whether the scanner is running that
would either give scanner sounds (if the hp does that) or an indication on
the screen as far as a message. We are both using voiceover and so just a
blinking light isn't going to tell us anything.

3. We've installed and run the setup assistant. Has anybody used this
scanner or a similar hp scanner? If so, can you try to give us basic
directions for trying to run a scan if it will scan without other
software? My friend does plan to buy readiris but we're trying to at least
make sure the scanner works first. The only sounds we've heard from this
machine
so far appear to be some noise from the printer when it is first turned
on.

Thanks for any help you can give.

--

Cheryl