[X4U] Re: X4U Digest, Vol 43, Issue 9

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sat Mar 15 22:14:09 PDT 2008

On Mar 15, 2008, at 2:40 AM, David Ledger wrote:
> --------------SNIP--------------------------------
> Maybe your 'offsite' backup doesn't need to be quite so off-site.
> You can get fireproof document safes that will  hold a hard drive
> for less than £30 ~ $60. They are "document" safes rather than
> "data" safes, so they will not keep a drive safe if it's in the
> middle of a house fire. But, depending on your local conditions and
> circumstances, you may be able to keep one in an outhouse or even
> bolted to a large paving slab in the garden. (If flood or insect
> infestation is possible, the latter is not a good idea). There are
> many situations where this would not do, but also many where it would.
>
> I have thought of buying an old big commercial 'beyond its sell-by
> date' second hand data safe, putting it in my garden, and making it
> look like a shed. I could then hold backups for people in the local
> area. The main problem here in the UK would be preventing
> condensation in winter.
>
> David
>
> David:

Interesting idea but not really practical for me I live in the city
in a 5 story building and absolutely no space out side to do so. I
could get indoor space but  it would be in the building and if a fire
occurred it would might be damaged as well. Its a long explanation
which I don't want to bore  the list with  (so I won't) but this is
is an interesting suggestion. Really the first novel idea suggested,
thanks!

Ed