[X4U] Storage on mirrored external drive

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sun Mar 30 06:27:22 PDT 2008

>On 3/29/08 12:18 PM, "Said Nuseibeh" <photo at studiosaid.com> I was so excited
>on 3/29/08 12:18 PM, when I received this message from Said Nuseibeh that I
>had to take an extra xanax.
>
>>  Hi Listers,
>>
>>  If I mirror my g4 laptop (10.4.11) on a bootable external FW drive that
>>  has greater hard drive capacity, and I want to use that remaining space
>>  to incrementally store new data, where should I put that data so as not
>>  to interfere with system operations if --in the case of mishap-- I ever
>  > have to boot from that external disk?

It sounds to me as though you are making this complicated. I think
you should check with  Disk Utility that the external has just one,
full-size partition, then erase it.

Use SuperDuper to make a full clone [Backup - all files     and under
Options,  [Erase then copy].

That will give you a bootable clone with plenty of space left over
for extra files you want to keep until the next clone. You can put
them into a separate folder on the external you could call
"Incremental Saves" or some such thing.

Assuming that you keep those incremental files on your main hard
drive, then next time you clone, it will erase the external and do a
new clone including those files.

On the other hand, you could just do a "Smart Update" every day,
which would keep track of files that have been added during the week,
and then a full Erase-then-copy once a week.

Certainly no tricks with a "Public folder" are required.

Daly