[X4U] imac and beach ball

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Mon May 19 20:36:05 PDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 7:12 PM, alexandre wrote:

> hi
>
> i have a 24" intel imac ("late 2006") that has been working fine
> until last friday. that day, i took it to the local mac dealer to
> have the hard drive upgraded, from the original 250gb to a 1000gb. i
> decided to go for a samsung s-ata II spinpoint F1 with 32b cache at
> 7200rmp. the installation was done by the dealer. at another dealer,
> i bought a 3gb ram module, to bring up the total ram to 3gb, the
> maximum on the machine.
>
> with the new drive, i thought it was a good time to upgrade to
> leopard… and since then i've re-installed leopard 3 times! on a
> regular basis, i'm getting the beach ball for about 15 to 20
> seconds. the computer hangs (but i can still move the cursor) and
> then everything is ok again. for example, software update is
> downloading updates, i'm moving around a few windows and the whole
> thing just freezes… very, very annoying.
>
> <snip>
>
> so… i'm begining to think there is a problem with the new drive.
>
> is there anything i can still do besides taking it back to the shop
> for a hard drive exchange?
>
> alexandre
> 17" 2.33ghz ic2d macbook pro / 2.0gb / 160gb / X.5.2
> 24" 2.33ghz ic2d imac / 2.0gb / 250gb / X.4.11

I'd try booting the machine off a Firewire external drive and see how
that works. Be sure that the external hard drive is formatted and
partitioned to work on an Intel Mac (use the GUID partition).

If you have a copy of Disk Warrior (version 4.1), I'd put it on the
external drive and then run it to see whether it can fix the internal
drive. Disk Warrior works wonders in situations where a hard drive is
having problems.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Carruthers Communications                  Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concession N Sherbrooke     Cell: 613-720-2350
R.R. 1, McDonalds Corners, ON  K0G 1M0   Fax: 613-278-2929
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com

"There's no such thing as a dumb question." (Anon)