[X4U] Daughter's Hard Drive Carnage Part 2

David R. Boag, DDS spikedds at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 21 18:35:44 PDT 2008

You just had to know it wouldn't be that easy.

The LaCie d2 Quadra 500GB hard drive stopped working last week
apparently after my 4 y.o. daughter found the on/off switch on my
surge strip entertaining to turn on and off. "Hey, look at the pretty
light that turns on and off!" Anyway, the drive was not working, so I
purchased a new Seagate 1TB Barracuda to replace the old drive. Did
the old swaperoo, and it was very easy to do.

It was easy that is, until I put it all back together and plugged the
drive in. It TRIES to spin for about 1/2 second and then doesn't. So
it apparently is NOT the drive itself.

So I figure it is either the power supply has gone bad, or the board
inside the drive case is bad. Here is what I know, and I'm hoping that
you guys can help me with diagnosis here: The power supply has a four
prong connector which goes into the Quadra case. The power supply's
specs are as follows: Pin 1 = 5VDC, Pin 2 = 12VDC, Pins 3 & 4 are both
ground. Output is supposedly 5V with 4.2A and 12V with 3A. I have
tested the pins with my voltmeter and the volts look right, however, I
can't seem to get any amps when I go from pin 1 or 2 to the ground
pins. 0 A. I've never seen volts without amps before, but I'm thinking
that the power supply has gone bad, which would be an easy fix so long
as LaCe will give me another one for a reasonable price. It would seem
to me that with the power cycling that likely occurred that the power
supply would be the most vulnerable.

If it's not the power supply, then it's got to be the board. Since I
opened the case, the warranty is voided (I think it was beyond
warranty anyway.)

Does the above sound right to any of you in the know?

David R. Boag, DDS