[X4U] mac mini (2009) and applecare

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 16 15:37:26 PDT 2009

Zane wrote:

>Something else to consider is this, can you afford the financial risk of not
>having Applecare.  If you can't then you should get it.  For me personally
>the whole question can be summed up as follows.  If I am going to spend
>about $3,500 on a Mac Pro then I simply can not afford not to spend $250 on
>Applecare.  I pretty much view Applecare as a mandatory part of the cost of
>a new Mac.

I totally agree. Over the years, I kept track of what I spent on
AppleCare for various computers, and what it saved me over the years
and definitely AppleCare saves big money. Not every computer I had
required it, but  overall, it has saved me thousands of dollars.

And one recent anecdote: My mother's neighbor, whom she convinced to
switch to Mac a few years ago, got a new iMac about a year and six
months ago. She got him to buy the extended warranty. (And, by the
way, the hardware warranty is a year, not 90 days. The 90 days is
just for hardware AND phone support.) Within a few weeks of purchase,
the optical drive had to be replaced. That in itself paid for the
warranty. But a couple of weeks ago, he was having big trouble and it
turned out to be the motherboard, and at that point he was well into
his extended warranty period.

He now has the computer back, at no extra cost, with a new
motherboard. It would have cost him $800 to replace it outside the
warranty.

I consider the extended warranty to be just part of the cost of buying a Mac.

Daly