[X4U] IP address on local network

Dave Bonhoff 69abel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 08:34:32 PDT 2009

Maybe my earlier reply didn't get to you, so here is the important bit:

"...from a practical point it is better to leave your Macs set with
their default network settings, and manage the network from the
router. It means not having to change settings on a notebook every
time it leaves the premises, and being able to manage the network from
one device (that has a decent utility or web interface)."

Those are the 2 reasons I used when deciding how to manage my network.
As more and more networked devices are entering our lives, having a
single interface to manage them all from is a welcome relief. And
every router that I've used has prevented one from making silly
mistakes, like assigning the same IP to different machines...

Regards,
Dave