[X4U] Synching iPhone Calendar/addresses with PC Outlook

Conlon Brett brettnlis at bigpond.com
Wed Dec 30 06:06:14 PST 2009

Hi iPhone users,

Anyone out there using a successful method to "cleanly" synch their
iPhone iCal with Outlook (WinXP)?

I've ticked the setting for Calendar and Addresses under PC iTunes'
"Info" tab, but when I look in the Outlook calendar I can't see any
changes, even though it told me after synching that there were over
4000 changes made to calendar.

To further explain, for the last 2 yrs I've been using a Palm device
(on both my Mac and Work PC) where I used many categories when setting
my calendar entries. However after getting my new iPhone and synching
from the Palm to Mac's iCal I sadly lost all of my categories. I can
live with that loss but moving forward, I'd like to be able to use
some form of category option so I can separate/colour code my entries
("work" from "pleasure" etc etc etc). iCal seems to use individual
calendars and Outlook, I believe, has categories. Is there a way to
get these to synch, or am I dreaming? ie. iTunes "Meetings" calendar
entries to synch so that they have a "Meetings" category in Outlook...
or vice versa when synching entries I make on the work computer back
to the iPhone.

I also found that Outlook is overriding my addresses, putting back on
the iPhone what I spent AGES removing and cleaning up during the first
synch. Is there a way to get this working properly? BTW, are the
Address Book entries fully compatible with Outlook addresses? ie. if I
create a person with, say, multiple details and a comment etc, will
Outlook receive this as one entry and look the same, or will it split
it up into multiple entries?

I sure hope I don't have to keep my iPhone away from the PC side in
case it screws everything up, if you know what I mean. I want to
heavily integrate it into both worlds - it's why I replaced my Palm
device, my old iPod and Nokia Phone with the iPhone in the first place.

All suggestions most welcome! Any good places/forums to look up?

Cheers,

Brett