[X4U] "white" star rating in itunes

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Sun Jul 5 12:59:39 PDT 2009

   Craig, iTunes has something built-in for you purpose.  It's called
   "play count."  It tells you how many times a song has been played.
   Have you tried creating a smart play list of all your songs that have
   a play count of zero?

That field doesn't capture the semantics correctly.  For example, an
item is (automatically) counted as played when you start it[*].  I need
something that I can mark manually.

My needs aside, what about if I simply wanted to mark it as one star
for rating purposes?  Having iTunes override or disregard my setting
is not useful.

Craig

[*] marking when you finish it doesn't work either as it is annoying
to have to manually move to the end of someting for an iPod to
consider it "not new."