[X4U] Freezes, Crashes, Kernel Panics - Oh MY ! ! !

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Jul 7 19:38:20 PDT 2009

On Jun 25, 2009, at 3:12 PM, J. R. Rosen wrote:

> HELLO LISTERS ! ! !
>
> I am running 10.4.11 on a 2002, Quicksilver 1.0gHz MP - 1.5gb RAM.
> Was having crashes, freezes and kernel panics almost every day, so
> I reinstalled the OS and brought it up to date with all of the
> proper software enhancements from Apple.
>
> I am still having the same problems.  I cannot isolate the
> sequence, otherwise, I wouldn't be writing this.
>
> Is there a known bug of any kind, a virus, or some other anomaly
> anyone knows of that could be causing this?
>
> It will KP with just Apple Mail and Safari open.  It will freeze
> when trying to awaken from sleep.  I'll get the "Killer-Gray-
> Screen" when trying to send an email.

The fact that it still does it after replacing the OS with a fresh
copy, and the fact that it does it randomly, indicates that the
problem is a hardware one, not a software one.

Uninstall all non-Apple hardware: RAM, USB hubs, external hard
drives, printer, third party keyboard and mouse...everything, and
revert to what came with your Mac from Apple.  (Assuming that Apple
didn't install any third-party hardware for you.  If they did,
uninstall that too.)

See if that fixes the problem.  If it does, you can re-install things
one at a time to find the culprit.

If it doesn't fix the problem, you have to then begin to suspect that
the Apple RAM is now bad, or that there is a motherboard problem, or
something like that.  It is probably impossible for you to diagnose
this yourself, so you will need to send your Mac back to Apple for
repair.  (Or you might want to consider just purchasing a used Mac,
as that might be cheaper than having a 7 year old Mac repaired.)

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html