[X4U] Recovery or a dead external HD

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Wed Jul 8 06:04:08 PDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:11 AM, Murray E. Milligan wrote:

> I have an external HD from a 3rd party company. I used it for my
> Time Machine backup. I have now lost it, due to a short circuit in
> the wiring of the HD power connection.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but assuming the
electronics that are part of the enclosure are what fried and the
drive is fine (not a trivial assumption), I'd remove the drive and try
it in another enclosure. External enclosures usually run around $50
and up depending on what you want. People on the list usually know
where the good deals are, so drop another message to the list if you
want to go this route and need help finding a good deal or getting the
drive transferred.

There are also "drive adapter" kits that are just the power supply and
data cable with no actual enclosure for short term use, but I've had
mixed results with those. They run $10-30 depending on what you want
and the deal you can find.

Other than that, most data recovery services can get rather pricey but
are definitely capable of transferring your data to another medium -
depending on how damaged the drive is and how much you're willing to
pay.

-Mike