[X4U] Negligible speed bumps...

Neil lists at mac.com
Sun Mar 8 11:30:40 PDT 2009

On Mar 8, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Wayne Clodfelter wrote:

> I presently have a 2002ed (2001 w/2002mobo) Quicksilver with a dual
> 1.8GHz processor and lots of HD storage inside and out. I don't like
> iMacs and don't need the Mac Pro, so what I'd like to see is a Less-
> Mini that offers more expansion.

I can see why Apple doesn't offer much internal expansion in their
consumer Macs.  Very few people actually ever open their computers.
So, extra RAM slots, PCI slots, and drive bays go unused and they end
up being a waste of space and money.

On the other hand, I don't see why Apple compromises so much to make
the Mini so small.  Why is it so critical that they not add another
inch or so in each dimension?  That would allow cheap, fast standard
desktop components instead of the slow, expensive notebook versions.

> What surprises and disappoints me about the latest Mini is the FW800
> instead of eSATA. Seems kind of late in the game to provide FW800
> when eSATA is in and FireWire appears to be on the way out. eSATA
> has it all over FW800 in terms of data transfer speed.

FW800 is compatible with the very common FW400, provides power, and is
more flexible (daisy chain, cable length, etc.).  It is very useful
for video pros.  Personally, I would also like eSATA, at least in the
Pro models for the near term and eventually in the consumer Macs if
the standard continues to take off.