[X4U] SuperDupper question

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Wed Mar 25 15:34:55 PDT 2009

I agree that the support is outstanding . . .but it's actually a
cloning program and not a backup program.

For most folks . . .backup means multiple copies of files as they
change over time . . . SD does not provide that functionality.

In addition . . .and not to demean the function that SD performs as
what it does it does very well . . .it does not provide very good
support for network backups  or less than full disk backups or any
sort of versioning backup scheme. I've emailed back and forth with the
author several times . . . and the bottom line is that he's convinced
that SD is the one and only backup program that any one needs and it
should do no more or less than what he decides is necessary. While I
can't fault his business model . . .I think his definition of backup
is shortsighted.

I own SD . . .and also own and use SynchronizePro X. The latter is
just as easy to use as SD for a full disk clone . . .and is vastly
simpler to setup for either a network backup or a less than full disk
backup. It still doesn't offer versioning or off site
capabilities . . . so in my view it again is inadequate by itself.

The gurus at my local user group (Washington Apple Pi . . .the oldest
computer group in the world) think that all you need is Time Machine
and that everything else is unnecessary. While I agree that Time
Machine is a wonderful thing in and of itself . . . again it doesn't
provide what I consider essential to an integrated backup system.

Not knocking SD though . . .it's a find product. It just doesn't do it
all.