[X4U] Finder question

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 26 11:51:12 PDT 2009

When I am in a folder and want to find a specific file, at the top of
the folder is a window with a magnifying glass next to it.

Why is it when I type say "cat" the finder doesn't just look in the
folder I am looking for and it assumes I want the entire system
searched (when I do not). I find this incredibly a waste of time (to
me) and really tries my patients as if I wanted to find it in the
entire system I would either use spotlight or some other means?
Or is there a way to restrict it to only looking in the current folder?

The other part of this is that it starts searching before I am ready
as I may have mistyped(as I often do) the file I am looking for. This
wastes my time waiting for a response and frustrates me to no end.

Ed