[X4U] Finder issue resolved(finally)!

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Sun Mar 29 13:42:30 PDT 2009

As you probably know my system has been sick for the last two weeks.
Thanks for all of your suggestions but nothing help:(

I was getting to a point that I was going to toss the MAC into the
garbage it was that bad. The hail mary idea of archive and re-install
would *NOT* have worked in this case.

I had my local MAC guru totally stumped.

Last night I put the problem in MACWORLD MACOSX forum hoping for a
expert out there in cyberspace to come to my aid. I got a few

The last one who answered was (I thought unlikely) suggestion. His
suggestion was to de-install Graphic Converter. What I did was to
copy it out of the applications folder into a spare folder that was
not used by the system. I then copied the GC .app package to the
trash and empty it. I then rebooted and *EVERYTHING* is working great.

What the problem was (my guess and it is ONLY a guess) that when
the .app package was built something went wrong (I am not a mac geek
so I do not have any idea) I am guessing something that when the
system reads the package it needs some function of the finder to
resolve. So the finder sat there in a loop trying to find what  ever
*HAD* to be there and that what was slowing the finder down so it
would not open windows and you could not do so many of the things
that the finder is needed for on the system. I do NOT think it is an
application coding issue but an "OS" thing that is needed in the .app .

I have notified Thorsten Lemke (GC owner) of the issue.

Ed

ps: Please no criticisms of how I use the letters "MAC" I am tired of
this whole mess and want to go get some sleep.