[X4U] Need to split or shrink an .mp3 file

Linda xpressobean at mac.com
Mon Mar 30 10:53:15 PDT 2009

On 3/30/09 12:43 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> I need to either split the file into two and still have it be an mp3
> or somehow downsample/resample it so that it's under 960MB.

So I used Google to search for convert mp4 to mp3 iTunes, and got several
hits.

> If you right-click on a music track in iTunes, there is an option to Convert
> Selection to some other format.
>
> Probably it says "Convert Selection to AAC", which is useless because your
> iTunes tracks are already in AAC format!
>
> You'll need to change your import settings to get iTunes to import the track
> as MP3. In iTunes 8, go to Edit / Preferences / General and click the Import
> Settings button. In older versions of iTunes, click on Edit / Preferences /
> Importing (or Edit / Preferences / Advanced / Importing). Your goal is to
> change the Import Using from the default setting to "MP3 Encoder".
>
> Click OK to save this setting.
>
> Now when you right-click on a music track, there is an option to Convert
> Selection to MP3. But just try it... iTunes will tell you that "Protected
> files cannot be converted to other formats."

Dunno if that will work, since your file is NOT protected.

Along those lines, can you burn it to a CD in iTunes and then reimport from
the CD choosing a lower bitrate/MP3 format for the import?

I also got

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550>

<http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=6258&highlight=mp4+mp3>

<http://myrightbrain.wordpress.com/2006/06/11/how-to-convert-mp4-audio-files
-to-mp3-using-itunes/>

Does any of this sound like it might do the trick?

~LW