[X4U] Strange behavior of iMac: shuts down and restarts whilst "sleeping."

Richard Bienvenu bienvenur at missouri.edu
Thu Sep 17 07:54:53 PDT 2009

That's about it; this started a couple of months ago and is pretty
annoying--mainly because I have to restart applications I usually leave
on, e.g., Safari and ThunderBird.
I'm running OS 10.5.8 and can't upgrade to Snow Leopard because this
iMac is a single processor machine. Someone has suggested that this
might be caused by an imminent hard drive failure, but the drive seems
to be ok, at least according Disk First Aid.

Any ideas, anyone?

Richard Bienvenu
Boone County, MO