[X4U] Leopard Install from retail version

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Thu Apr 8 09:35:22 PDT 2010

Retail versions of Mac OS X will boot and install on any machine that shipped before they did. Since the G5 iMac predated Leopard . . .it should work just fine. You only need to unregister your Intel iMac if you've got purchased iTunes content that needs to be registered on her computer AND you're out of the maximum number of computers (5 I think) that can be registered.

I personally never do system updates via Software Update…you only get the incremental  update in that case instead of a combo update customized for the individual machine…I use the downloaded Combo Update instead which replaces every file that has been changed since the original installation of 10.5.0. Probably overkill…but that's just the way I do it. Once you get hers installed . . .ignore all Software updates that get offered temporarily…then download and install the 10.5.8 Combo Update from Apple. After that let Software Update do it's thing, reboot if required, and Software Update again until there are no more updates as sometimes an update only gets offered if previous updates are already done.

On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:55 AM, John Erdman wrote:

> I have the retail version of Leopard install DVD that I had used on this computer (Intel iMac).  I've upgraded to S.L via a retail package, and no longer use Leopard.
>
> My wife just bought MobileME for use with her iMac G5 and finds she must upgrade from Tiger to Leopard 10.5.8.
>
> Will I be able to use my retail version of the 10.5.1 install with her computer? Do I need to "unregister" my Intel iMac to be able to use it on my wife's computer?

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil