[X4U] 27" LED iMac (was: Re: Display Port Without the Apple Tax?)

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Tue Aug 3 22:36:06 PDT 2010

Not sure what your exact backup system is, but if I were using iMacs,
I'd have my data files located on external firewire drives. That way
if the iMac does become a paper weight, even if only temporarily, you
have your data available. If you data file load is not too great you
could probably just mirror the internal hd to an external drive.

Of the iMacs I have familiarity with, which only number 6, but all
late model intel machines, none have had even the slightest burp.
Anecdotal, but my experience. :)

Jens

On Aug 3, 2010, at 10:48 PM, Joe Sporleder wrote:

> I have noticed that Apple's online store refurbished section has a
> 2.66Ghz Quad-Core i5 27" iMac for $1529US. That looks like a very
> tempting direction to go for my desire for screen real estate. With
> a 2nd monitor (perhaps splurging for the 27" Apple LED standalone
> when it comes out), and upgrading to 16GB of RAM would make a nice
> pagination system, Photoshop machine and a little bit of audio
> editing and Youtube and Blip.tv video processing machine. My boss
> has not always been a fan of all-in-one desktops (higher failure
> rate from some iMacs we had in the iMacs earlier history). He was
> always worried about a dead computer and a big screen paperweight.
> I've seen the new LED screens on some iMacs at my local dealer, and
> I think in this situation, we need to reconsider the iMac in our
> stable of workstations. I wonder how iMacs and Mac minis from recent
> generations fair in failure rates.
>
> Joe

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...