[X4U] iPad news

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Mon Feb 1 14:19:07 PST 2010

(incorrect top-posting repaired)

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 12:12:59PM CST, Dave <69abel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-02-01, at 11:59, Michael W. Sumbera wrote:
> >
> > On Feb 1, 2010, at 9:20 AM, Dave wrote:
> > >
> > > The iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad are mobile computers.
> >
> > That is where you are wrong, and why these products are not for you.
> >
> > Because you want them to be something they are not not intended to
> > be is not Apple's problem.
>
> I have to respectfully disagree, they are computers. Handheld
> computers with CPU's, GPU's, RAM, etc. And they are running a modified
> version of OS X. The limitations that are imposed on them are done so
> by Apple. Many people, myself included, do not like or agree with
> these limitations. But as you point out, this isn't Apple's problem
> (yet).

So what if they are all computers?  My watch has a computer.  My car has
a computer.  My microwave oven has a computer.  Lots of modern equipment
have a computer.  But computers are just tools, a means to an end.  The
goal is not to have a better computer.  The goal is to have computers do
specific things really well to help make a better life.

I think one major difference in mindset is that Dave and many other
people like him want a general-purpose computer that only gets smaller,
faster, and has more hardware gadgets (video camera, GPS, Bluetooth,
more plugs like USB, Firewire, eSATA, Mini-DVI, line in/out, S/PDIF,
HDMI, DisplayPort, 4G, expandable memory, swappable batteries, etc).
Him and many others aren't interested in dedicated computer appliances.
They know what they want.  But they need to do better at explaining the
reasons behind their preferences and grievances.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/