[X4U] The production price of an iPad

zapcat zapcat at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 12 14:20:02 PST 2010

On Feb 12, 2010, at 2:19 PM, T.L. Miller wrote:

> I wonder if their estimates includes the profit for the company that
> makes it for Apple.
>
> Of course, a lot of Apple's R&D went into the design and
> engineering of
> the iPad. It's not all profit.

Aside from their R&D expenses, there's something else at work against
apple in the public perception of how much things ought to cost.

and that is the notion that everything should be of top quality but
should have the lowest price possible. No concern over how or why the
price can BE low...

...such as in the case of offloading the slave labor onto another
country. That helps lower prices. Or, using cheap parts, lousy
design, and generally slapping things together, not thinking things
through..

All of that helps keep prices low.

One line that killed during Jobs's presentation was how Apple wanted
to make a pad-type advice that actually offered improvements and did
things better. But that the "netbook" doesn't do anything better.
It's just cheaper."

There ya go right there, friends. If "cheap prices" are your
immovable, you will get what you pay for...and pay for what you get.

zc