[X4U] IOMEGA HD 320GB

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Sat Jan 9 15:14:47 PST 2010

On Jan 9, 2010, at 1:46 PM, John Baltutis wrote:

> On 1/9/10, Earle Jones <earle.jones at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> Intel iMac -- X 10.6.2 -- HP printers, etc.
>>
>> I have several external HDs (all are USB connected) including an
>> IOMEGA 320GB.
>>
>> The 320GB power unit died (loose plug-in prongs) and IOMEGA sent me
>> a new
>> power unit.  When I re-connect the HD, it is not recognized on the
>> desktop.
>>
>> 'Disk Utility' can't find it; neither can 'Disk Warrior', TechTool
>> Pro',
>> 'Drive Genius' or anything else I can think of. Restart doesn't help.
>>
>> The disk drive is warm and rotating, the blue lamp is on, and the
>> connections
>> are OK (I switched several HDs around to different USB slots.)
>>
>> What should I do next?  Is there a terminal script that will
>> scanfor HDs?
>
> Power down the new HD and disconnect it. Zap the PRAM as detailed in
> <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379>, hook up the HD, and power it
> up. That
> should do the trick. BTW, if any of those externals have aFW
> connection, hou
> should use it. FW's 40-50% faster than USB and designed for data
> transfers,
> whereas, USB is for talking to peripherals.

You might try swapping out the USB cable also.

Perhaps trying the drive on a different computer? If you can't get
satisfaction after these ideas, you might want to get a different
enclosure to hold the actual drive or one of those cables that enables
you to hook up just the bare drive. The cable I have is made by
Roswell, does SATA and IDE drives and IRCC, cost about $30.

Depending on how valuable the data is on your hard drive you may need
to send it off to one of the services like Drive Savers to extract
your data.

Jens

Jens Selvig
...Lost in Montana...