[X4U] iPad news

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat Jan 30 11:33:25 PST 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 11:05 AM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> Personally as I said the other day I view the issue as being the lack of a USB port.  It will be interesting to see if someone makes a docking port adapter with one (or if the one camera adapter provides one), though I assume that would also require someone to write software to pull stuff other than pictures off of the drive.

I wondered that too . . .the camera adapter has a USB connector on it so hopefully you'll be able to hook up a USB drive or CF reader and not just a camera cable. I wonder if the USB connection to a camera presents itself as a camera or as a drive . . .if it's the latter then I would imagine that a USB CF reader would do the same.

One of the things I carry my laptop on for longer trips is to offload CF cards from our cameras . . .the ability to suck them off then dump them to a flash drive for backup/storage until returning home would be nice.

I’m also hoping for a client to Back to my Mac . . .sure, one could use Logmein or a VNC client . . .but something native to the OS that just works like it does with a laptop would be nice as well. There are a lot of other possible features I'm still wondering about (printing, multiple users, etc) that don't really warrant making it into the intro presentation but which clearly affect the decision as to whether this is a device for me or not.

OTOH, what am I saying . . .I do Macintosh consulting and I'm a Mac geek so of course I'll get one . . .I can always think of it as a business expense.

There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil