[X4U] Mac Pro fresh updates?

Joe Sporleder joe at wacondatrader.com
Wed Jun 16 12:37:54 PDT 2010

What is everyone think is the chance that we'll see a refresh on the Mac Pro line?

I don't need the top of the line as far as processors, a bunch of screen real estate and memory are more important. For example, the base model Mac Pro that Apple sells on their US online store ($2499, 2.66Ghz  quad core, 640GB HD, etc) would be just fine for us speed wise. The primary purpose of the computer would be for electronic pagination of our newsprint products. We'd add at least a 2nd video card, and setup at least 4 monitors on it (22 to 24" LCDs). A secondary function of the machine would be for editing video and audio for our websites - particularly for our Youtube and Blip.tv accounts. We could afford to upgrade the machine to 16GB of RAM, and would want to add some more storage in the open bays in addition of (or in place of) the stock 640GB HD.

Most of our workstations in our publishing company are iMacs and Mac minis, but it'd be nice to have one Mac Pro for some extra horse power - for pagination/page layout and being able to have a lot of screen real estate, and also for a little video and/or audio editing. Plus it'll have a Adobe CS4 or CS5 license on it that co-workers can share when they have a big project where faster Photoshop would be nice to have.

I'm thinking if there's a very good chance that the Mac Pro line will be refreshed before the end of July or August, I can wait for a while, as this workstation isn't necessarily needed immediately. Otherwise, if the prospects for a refresh in the near future are not likely, I might as well get a new one from my local Apple dealer (or grab a refurbished one from the Apple online store for $2149), and then start upgrading as much graphics, memory and storage that I can budget for.

Joe