[X4U] iPhoto

Jim Warthman jwarthmanlists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 14:25:16 PST 2011

On Dec 27, 2011, at 2:50 PM, Al Grappone wrote:

> Thanks
>
> I have time machine on ext drive. How do I go in TM and restore the iphoto library?

Navigate to the folder on your "boot drive" containing your iPhoto Library folder. The default location is:

   your user folder > Pictures

Do NOT open the iPhoto Library folder.

Assuming Time Machine is configured to access your Time Machine data on the external drive , pull down the Time Machine menu from your menu bar and select "Enter Time Machine".

You should see your finder window as it currently exists, with older versions stretching back in time.

Navigate to an older version that you wish to restore. This might be from yesterday or several days, weeks, or months ago. You can navigate several different ways. Try clicking on the controls on the right side of the window.

Once you find the version you want to restore, select the iTunes Library folder, then click "Restore" on the bottom right side of the screen.

The screen will return to your normal desktop, then you will see a dialog box that asks if you want to Keep Original, Keep Both, or Replace. If in doubt (and assuming you have enough hard drive space), select Keep Both. Select Apply to All so you don't need to keep repeating the action.

"Keep Both" should rename your existing iTunes Library with the word "Original", and the restored version will have the proper name.

If you launch iTunes, I believe it will open the restored copy.

Enjoy,

Jim