[X4U] Seagate 1 TB hard drive issue not loading on desktop...

Kirk McElhearn kirkmc at mac.com
Sat Jan 15 02:34:15 PST 2011

On Jan 15, 2011, at 11:22 AM, LAL wrote:

> Have a new, out of the box seagate 1 TB external USB hard drive (with a mini USB connector on the drive itself)
> Per Seagate, the package says:
> Software / System Requirements OS Required Apple MacOS X 10.4.8 or later, Microsoft Windows Vista / XP
> Manufacturer Part# : ST910004EXA101-RK
>
> Plugged it into a G4 17" mac running 10.5.8 (all system software up-to-date) and the light on the hard drive comes on.
> Does not mount on desktop.
> Opened disk utilities. Not there.
> Restart G4 from a pristine 10.5.8 loaded on another external hard drive (FW 800) and still the seagate drive does not load on desktop.
> Go to wife's machine (PPC G3, 10.4.11, all software up-to-date) and plug it in.
> Shows up on her desktop.
> Reformat it for Mac extended journal and attach it to G4.
> Not on desktop.
> Repair it using Disk Utilities on G3, (showed no problems) attach it to G4. Not on desktop.
> Put it back on G3, and remotely connect (share) the G4 to the G3 and I can see it on the G4
> Run Diskwarrier on the drive from the G3, and then bring it over to the G4.
> Still not on desktop.
> I am plum out of ideas....
> Went to seagate's web site and they are of little help
> Suggestions on how to get it to load onto my G4's desktop??

My first thought would be that the USB port on your G4 isn't powered, but I'd be surprised that the one on a G3 is powered in that case. I'm assuming that there's no power supply; that it's just connected by USB cable? I have a couple of drives like that, but I've never had any problems. (BTW, the light can be on even if there's not enough power to run the drive; that would indicate that it's getting some power, but not enough.) Have you tried all your USB ports, if there are more than one?

Kirk

*Author of Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ*
http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes
Twitter: @mcelhearn