[X4U] Smart people

cat soul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Tue Jun 14 14:06:58 PDT 2011

On Jun 14, 2011, at 1:59 PM, Earle Jones wrote:

> Lion, on the other hand, is a major upgrade with many changes.  It
> is the "no-DVD" approach (download only) that keeps the price that
> low.

Lessee, here...1 DVD, a nice box, .001 grams of shrink-wrap and $100
more for a physical delivery?

I'm thinkin no.

The low price of Snow and of Lion are a calculated move by Apple to
encourage wider adoption of its latest OS.

They could charge the (at one time) "traditional" price of $129 and
people would be tripping over each other to get their copy! that's
how it's been since Jag-wire was released in 02.

I'm not sure how "minor" Snow leopard was. if you measure in terms of
"eye candy" perhaps not much new. If you measure in terms of under-
the-hood code, quite a step.

Snow Leopard is intel-only. Since many people are still in Tiger or
even Panther, Apple probably wants to help entice them to upgrade.

just my guess.

cat