[X4U] Recent Malware Threats; What To Do

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Fri Apr 6 13:21:24 PDT 2012

On Apr 6, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Marcel Vachon wrote:

> The only thing that I am uncertain about is, other than crashing
> the Mac, what are the other downsides of the virus?  Does the
> malware steal the users passwords and mail them back to a home base
> somewhere? Does the malware slow the system down a lot? Is the
> virus passed on to others via infected email?

Well, first, at this point, Flashback is no longer technically a
Trojan Horse.  It no longer uses social engineering to infect Macs,
and user interaction is no longer necessary for it to install
itself.  Someone called it a "drive-by infection" that you get from
an infected Web site.  It isn't a virus because it doesn't self-
propagate.

It does a bunch of nasty things...all of what you mentioned except
for mail itself out or infect others.

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html