[X4U] Keywords?

David Ledger david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
Sun May 26 15:15:28 PDT 2013

At 13:04 -0700 26/5/13, Al Grappone wrote:
>Not sure about subject.
>Isn't there a way to find the password on my computer?  I have to
>authorize this computer to play purchased items in iTunes.  They
>were purchased awhile back. I do not use that user name now. and
>cannot open since I cannot remember password. Seems to me there is a
>way to find it. I searched keywords and received over 500 hits. Lot
>of folders but no application.
>

>21.5-inch iMac,3.1GHz Quad-core intel Core 17, Turbo Boost up to
>3.9GHz,16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2x8GB,1TB Fusion Drive,NVIDIA GeForce
>GT 650M 512MB GDDR5

Not sure what you mean by "the password on my computer". Apart from
any firmware password the computer doesn't have one - only accounts
have passwords.

Any password should be kept only in encrypted form which gives no
access back to the plaintext form. This is a fundamental principle of
Unix security.

Does that user name's HOME folder and keychain still exist? (Not that
that would help if you can't unlock that keychain.)  Are you likely
to have used that password for anything else which might have a
reminder somewhere?

Failing that, from an Admin login you can change the password of any
other user. Not sure if that changes the keychain password for that
other user.

Have you set up a 'root' login?

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk