[X4U] Getting apple mail for OS 10.6.8

catsoul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Wed Jun 4 11:21:40 PDT 2014

On Jun 4, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Jones Al <austexal at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Quite sometime ago I deleted Mail from my wife’s Mac Mini running OS 10.6.8 as she was using Entourage which is becoming flaky and won’t rebuild. How can I restore “mail” and not lose all of her mail boxes of which are numerous. The latest install CD I have is 10.5.6 as her machine came already loaded with 10.6.8. I don’t want to upgrade her machine as she needs rosetta for some of her apps that she does not want to give up.

Do you mean that you removed/sent to trash and erased the Mail.app from the Applications folder? Or that you removed the actual mail files from the mail folder?

If it's the latter, you should be able to import the desired mail files from  within Mail.app. I can't testify as to how well Mail.app will pull in the arrangements you have in Entourage but if I had to guess, I'd assume Mail would preserve your mailboxes.

If you removed the actual Mail.app application program, that is another fish entirely. I do not believe that you can simply install Mail.app and have things be hunky dory because it seems many OS X apps are integrated with each other and with the OS itself, but again others could weigh in on this.

I  hope all goes well for you.

cat