[X4U] Mavericks performance

catsoul catsoul at thinkplan.org
Tue Mar 4 14:04:13 PST 2014

On Mar 4, 2014, at 1:56 PM, catsoul <catsoul at thinkplan.org> wrote:

> Thunderbird might not be quite as sexy as Mail.app, nor as nicely-integrated to other OS X things, but it seems to be trusty.

forgot to add that, under Lion, Mail.app had a show-stopping problem counting email. Tiger Mail.app got it right, SnowLeopard Mail.app got it right, and any version of Thunderbird under any version of OS X got it right.

the discrepancy was in the neighborhood of thousands, but really any mistake is unacceptable. It "knew" there were thousands more; it simply wouldn't download/display them. I say it "knew," because it would throw out the correct number while downloading after being re-configured, but after that process was done, the total emails shown was thousands less than were on the server. IMAP.

So snarky and time-gobbling was this problem, they gave me a free iPod nano for all the horsing around we did.

Mt. Lion appeared to fix the mail count problem.

is it really *that* hard to make an email program?

cat