[Xdreams] Software Update that WORKS

Bill Planey mac.info at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 3 07:12:55 PST 2005

Hello,

I am hoping for a better Software Update preference pane, one that actually
shows the truly uninstalled updates.  I almost never use SU to do the actual
updating - I usually download a stand-alone installer, sometimes with SU
downloading to the desktop.

For example, I know that I installed Java 1.4.2 update 2 in two different
ways: 1) with the standalone installer when issued and 2) I updated to
10.3.7 with the combo updater, which was supposed to include all the recent
security patches  (or am I wrong to assume the Java update would have been
rolled into this?)

A truly functional SU would actually scan the system to see what the current
live system has or needs to have.  I believe the current SU looks to the
packages that are stored somewhere in the Library and these packages are
somehow only the ones that SU has handled.

Apple should either make its own installers place the markers (packages)
that SU looks for during their process, or have SU survey the system itself.

Bill Planey