[XDreams] Projectors using Windows

Peter C.S. Adams adamsp at cs.umb.edu
Thu Nov 16 06:30:47 PST 2006

Thus spake Lela Tong <artofbusiness_computer at yahoo.com>, circa 11/16/2006:
> And, anyone's experience on working with a bunch of PC's since it's been
> awhile since I had to do it.  Thus, should I wait a bit longer or is it safe
> to get the Apple now?

I agree, it's always safe to get an Apple. Occasionally you'll buy right
before a new model comes out, but that happens with any machine. (I'll admit
I would've been upset to buy a Macbook right before they upgraded them to
the Core 2 Duo!)

Using Macs and PCs together is mostly pretty seamless. The only major
problems, I think, are Microsoft Publisher and Access -- there's no Mac
version and no Mac app can open the files. But with Boot Camp, CrossOver, or
Parallels, you can even manage those.

Three things you may want to explore are:

1. The free Flip4Mac plug-in for QuickTime that allows you to play WMV and
WMA files. Download here:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=915D874D-D747-4180
-A400-5F06B1B5E559&displaylang=en>

2. The commercial product MacLinkPlus which can convert files between
hundreds of formats, allowing you to use PCX and WordPerfect files, etc.
More info here:

<http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/>

3. MacWindows, a web site devoted to cross-platform issues.

<http://www.macwindows.com/>

     peter