T68i GPRS througput

KOZAK Imre Oliver ki023 at hszk.bme.hu
Fri Apr 18 20:52:47 PDT 2003

I bought the phone as Ericsson T68m, for half the price of the T68i.
That time the speed of GPRS was very slow, almost identical to the 9600
bps GSM-modem connection, in both direction.

So this is the speed of the GPRS channel:
Somewhat later I have upgraded the phone to T68i software, with the
latest release. Miracle: GPRS at normal speed. Officially it is 43
kbit/s at maximum, and varies between 10000-40000 depending network
usage. Upload is much slower, it can be 13 400 bit/s at max.

Actual data speed is different:
In Speed Download, download speeds are shown as 1.6 kbyte/s, 2.8
kbyte/s, 3.4 kbyte/s and 4.4 kbyte/s, mostly 3.4 kbyte/s. This is when
you download a file.
However there is the known delay problem of GPRS - when you query a new
file, there is a 500 ms lag before the file starts to download. If you
download one large file, this is not a problem, however, it makes other
activities quite painful:
- connecting via telnet/ssh to a remote server
- browsing 'portal' type web sites with huge number of small files
Uploading is very slow, I experience it every time I send a larger file
in mail, or want to update my website. In Transmit, via the sftp
protocol I usuall get 0.3-0.6 kbyte/s. So I only upload if it is
emergency.

Imre

--
If your reply bounces, please resend your message to
kio77 at freemail.hu