Mac sharing internet through BT

Martim Weinstein emdub at mac.com
Mon Aug 25 03:09:53 PDT 2003

As promised:

First my configuration: Powerbook G4 500 Mhz, OS 10.2.6, generic USB BT
module (brandless), Tungsten T and a heavy dose of patience. The Tibook
is receiving net from an airport station connected to another mac which
is sharing it's connection. So basically I'm sharing through BT a
already shared connection... oh, one more thing: my Firewall is off.
There is something about opening ports 8827 and 8775 in order to work
with WebPro (Tungsten browser) but since I don't use my firewall I
didn't test it.

None of this stuff is of my authoring, I got most of it out of
Macosxhints.com and used some common sense and troubleshooting. Some of
the stuff I did, I don't understand too deeply (like the script!), so
I'm just describing what works for me.

Link on the article I used (most of the stuff is from the comments
section):

<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021103062212288>

Configuring the Mac:

1- activate another port in network preferences that allows you to
share your main connection. To make a port your main connection port
just drag it to the top. Even if you don't use it, you'll need it open
otherwise the script below might not work. No configuration needed of
this port.

2- Share that connection activating it in Sharing in the system
preferences. No need to configure anything.

3- Paste the following script into script editor. Keep it as a script
at first so you can make alterations as necessary.

set runresult to ""
  tell me to activate
  display dialog "Turn Bluetooth Internet Sharing ON?" buttons
{"Cancel", "Yes"} default button 2
  set userchoice to button returned of result
  if userchoice = "Yes" then
          with timeout of 20 seconds
                  try
                          do shell script "sudo
/usr/libexec/InternetSharing" with administrator privileges
                          set runresult to "Statement 1 done" & return
                  on error errormsj
                          display dialog errormsj as string
                          set runresult to runresult & "Statement one
failed" * errormsj & return
                  end try
                  try
                          do shell script "sudo /usr/sbin/pppd
/dev/tty.Bluetooth-PDA-Sync 115200 noauth local passive proxyarp
asyncmap 0 silent persist :10.1.1.201 &"
                          set runresult to "Internet Sharing ON" & return
                  on error errormsj
                          display dialog errormsj as string
                          set runresult to runresult & "Statement 2
failed" * errormsj & return
                  end try
          end timeout
          tell me to activate
          display dialog (runresult as string) buttons {"OK"} default
button 1
  end if

For my LAN I changed the ip on  "proxyarp asyncmap 0 silent persist
:10.1.1.201 &" to 192.168.0.5 since it's the ip range I use. Not sure
if it made a difference, but again, I'm only describing what I have
since what I have is working.

4- Run the script. Once it works you can save it as an application and
even include it in the login items...

Configuring the Tungsten (This is just copy, paste from macosxhints):

1- Launch the Prefs application on your Palm Powered handheld.
2- Select the Connection panel.
3- Touch the New... button.
4- Give the new connection a descriptive name such as Bluetooth to
Macintosh.
5- Set Connect to to PC.
6- Set Via to Bluetooth.
7- Touch the box labeled Tap to Find and select your Macintosh.
8- Touch Details....
9- Set Speed to 115,200 bps.
10- Set Flow Ctl to Automatic.
11- Touch OK twice to return to the Connection panel.
12- Select the Network panel.
13- Choose the UUNet service. Rename it something descriptive, such as
Bluetooth to Macintosh.
14- Set Connection to the connection you just created previously in
this section.
15- Leave the User Name and Password entries blank.
16- Touch Details... and ensure that Conection type is set to PPP and
IP Address is checked. Uncheck Query DNS and enter the addresses of
local Primary and Secondary DNS servers for your network. THIS IS VERY
IMPORTANT!
17- Set the Idle timeout to however long you'd like the connection to
remain active before timing out. (I set mine to never)
18- Touch Script... and make sure that the only entry in the script is
End.
19- Touch OK twice.

Testing the connection and troubleshooting:

1- Simply go to WebPro and see if it loads any page... no?

2- Is BT activated on the Tungsten? Did you press connect in the
Connection panel? Yes, should be you answer to both. If youre getting
"serial" errors it is probably one of these. It was for me. On my palm,
everytime I switch it off, I have to activate BT and press connect
again.

3- You can also try substituting the IP address for webpro.palm.com
(63.97.179.33) in Web Pro's (menu) Options > Preferences > Advanced.
That eliminates the potential DNS problems with the host address,
anyway.

4- You can figure out whether your connection is working by using ping
from within your Palm.  Go to Prefs > Network > (your Service name) >
(menu) Options > View Log WITHYOUR CONNECTION ACTIVE.  Scroll to the
bottom of the log and you can test ping there.  Grafitti in "ping
63.97.179.33" return (downward left slash, not the Done button), and if
your connection is talking to the outside world, it should have one
line that says "Pinging 63.97.179.33 with 32 bytes of data:" and then
it should return "Reply from 63.97.179.33: bytes=32 time=110ms
TTL=125".  If it times out, then you are not talking to the webpro site
at the very least.  If it works,  I would ping a non-IP address like
apple.com to test your DNS lookup.  If it works there, then both the
connection and your DNS servers are working.  Beware that I got errors
from some sites I pinged, including macosxhints.com, probably because
they set up their ping services strange.

Good luck! If anybody has any further questions feel free to ask, I
just can't promise I'll be able to answer them since this is mostly
copy paste of what worked for me! ;-)

-mw

There cannot be a crisis today; my schedule is already full.