[BTM] T68i as modem

Justin D'Onofrio-fs donofrio at chapin.edu
Sat Feb 8 22:27:45 PST 2003

bluetooth-mac at lists.themacintoshguy.com writes:

>> I may have gotten the wrong impression when I heard that my Mac with
>> bluetooth adapter could use my T68i to connect to the internet. Is it
>> possible for the computer to dial an actual ISP number and connect with
>> PPP? Or is it just possible to use the phone to connect through GPRS?
>> I'd rather not use my precious $8 MB to load three web pages on my Mac.
>> Can this be done?
>
>Depends on your provider. Dialing into an ISP is called CSD
>(Circuit-Switched Data). T-Mobile offers it, but if you enable what they
>call "mobile internet" (GPRS), you can no longer use CSD. AT&T offers GPRS
>only - no CSD. I don't know about Cingular or any other GSM providers.

I've got T-Mo in NYC and they offer GPRS - up to 40MB/mo I believe. I've
got the 10MB/mo plan. Not the fastest in the world - Sprint's Vision 2.5G
service is faster, but I'd never go back to them: T-Mo's customer support
is a whole world better. They even GLADLY helped me configure OS X using
THIRD-PARTY scripts and Apple's BT module to connect with my T68i! now
THAT's service!

That being said, now that I have a Danger Hiptop (in the form of the T-Mo
Sidekick) the usefulness of a laptop plus BT phone is eluding me... since
I can access the exact same info in a package a fraction the size of a
laptop, why bother taking the laptop with me when the only things I'd do
are e-mail, chat, and SMS? I'm actually thinking of giving up the T68i for
like, a Panasonic GD87. Granted, I'll lose the coolness factor of
connecting to the net via the phone in my pocket... but then again, that's
all I use the BT function for- no iSync for me; I'd have all my contacts
and such spread over too many devices! (home phone, T68i, PowerBook, AND
Sidekick!) hahaha...

*justin

"Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!"