[BTM] Cheesy fix for non-syncing Tungsten/T's!

Richard McKay richard.mckay1 at virgin.net
Wed Jan 15 05:33:37 PST 2003

Martin,

The first question is: do you have the "superuser" account activated in
netinfo? If not, are you willing to activate this account? There may be
security issues involved with doing this that you might wish to
consider...not to mention the damage that you can do if you do not know what
you are doing in the root account...If you do proceed...

If the superuser account is activated then you only need to find out the
"PID" of the blued process, this can be done easiest in Process Viewer
(applications folder/utilites/Process Viewer) make sure that in the show
window (upper right) you have the choice "all processes" listed and then you
can comfortably scroll down to where blued is listed (under the name column)
highlight this line by clicking on it and click on the arrow at the bottom
of the window with "more info", this will list the Process ID number you
will need in terminal. (this can be done with terminal using top command but
if you are not familiar with terminal then the above may be more
comfortable). Next open terminal and switch to the super user account with
su command...below are examples that should be accurate...I do not have the
super user activated (your computer name will probably be different and the
name listed will be as well...

[SAL9000:~] home% cd /

Note that you do not have to be in an administrator account to do this but
will need to switch users (su) in terminal to an account that does and then
su to root...

ie.
your normal account to admin account to root account...each time entering
the proper password for that account.

[SAL9000:/] home% su rmckay (admin account)
Password: type the password that you use for admin account here
[SAL9000:/] rmckay% su root
Password: type the password that you used for root in netinfo here

then it should show you as root

[SAL9000:/] root%

now type the following

[SAL9000:/] root% kill 395
[SAL9000:/] root%

kill is not verbose (in other words it will not confirm that the process is
stopped, at least not without using further options...for more info see man
kill) so there will be no confirmation except in your Process Viewer
window...

In Process Viewer you should now see that blued is not there anymore, at
least temporarily...and then you can do the synch (if this fix does work for
others)

Sorry about the length of this post...tried to be brief but if there are any
questions let us know...

HTH,

Richard