[BTM] Best Bluetooth Phone

Jack Rodgers jackrodgers at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 15 12:40:29 PST 2003

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 11:52  AM, KOZAK Imre Oliver wrote:

> The software version also influences the speed of GPRS (or Bluetooth
> speed?). With the original T68m software I only got 1 kbyte/s at
> maximum for download, now I took my phone to an Ericsson service
> point, and they loaded in the latest T68i software. Now it gives 4,3
> kbyte/s for download. Either the GPRS, or the Bluetooth par of the
> software has been upgraded. Also, the T68i software has access for a
> larger memory area.

Sounds OK and better than previous download times using a cellphone.
About dial-up speed.

I thought I might caution users to verify how they are being charged
for their internet connections.

In some cases you can use your 'voice' minutes and either pay a very
small fee for web access or none at all.

In other cases, such as the new offerings by Sprint, AT&T, and others,
you pay what seems to be a small charge per kilobyte after a small
number of megabytes, let's say .02 K. Now a megabyte is 1000 times as
large as a kilobyte so that .02 per K becomes $20 per megabyte. I think
some charges are only .002 rather than .02. So, let's say you are
charged just $2 a megabyte.

One surfing session with no downloads, just email and go to web,
accounted for more than a megabyte of downloads within an hours time.
Those small html ads and photos add up quickly. So, there is an extra
$30-$60 or more charged per month.

If you get brave and start download single and double digit megabyte
files, movies, etc. your bill will become enormous under the above
charges.

So, be careful. Realizing this I sprung for the unlimited download
option with Sprint while expensive, it will save me a lot of money
compared to these other plans.

Check your charges and consider your potential phone bill.

---

Simple Solutions for Simple Minds.  Jack Rodgers for President.

jackrodgers at earthlink.net
http://www.jackrodgers.com