[BTM] Palm OS / Bluetooth?

Stephen Jonke sjj_public at mac.com
Fri May 30 08:54:39 PDT 2003

I have and am very happy with my Palm Tungsten T, but you should
consider bluetooth to be an beta (alpha?) quality product (not just on
the Palm - bluetooth itself seems to beta or less). Indeed I have
doubts it will ever really get out of beta. You have to make bluetooth
happy if you want it to work well. Still it's pretty cool anyway. I
have not found bluetooth syncing to be a big plus because it is slow
(slower than USB syncing), it isn't entirely reliable (long syncs tend
to fail), and since syncing via cradle or charging cable also charges
the TungstenT there's even less benefit to bluetooth syncing.

However, I do use bluetooth for other things including transferring
individual or small sets of files/applications to my Palm that I've
just downloaded - I use the program Drag'n'tooth to do the transfers
which is much nicer than Apple's provided utility - where it does prove
very convenient and quick. I have also used it with my T68i bluetooth
phone to connect the TT to the internet. The coolest bluetooth thing by
far is Sony Ericsson Clicker (now re-titled "Salling Clicker") which
lets you use your T68i phone to control your Mac via bluetooth.
Selecting a playlist to play in iTunes, or searching for a song by
title from your T68i and playing it on your Mac always results in jaws
dropping to floor. :) I'm hoping the Salling folks or someone else come
out with a bluetooth multimedia remote control that is designed to work
with Salling Clicker, Romeo and whatever else. A remote control type
layout with a small display and alphanumeric keyboard. Toss in a
learning IR remote-remote (a remote-remote module with bluetooth that
you sit near your IR components and control with the bluetooth-remote)
to control non-bluetooth stuff and... oh to dream....

Steve