[BTM] iSync, Address Book, Nokia 3650 & bluetooth headphones

Bruce Gerson bruce_gerson at mac.com
Sat Nov 8 21:42:41 PST 2003

On Nov 8, 2003, at 12:21 PM, Greg wrote:

> I've been searching for a good bluetooth headphone that will work with
> this
> phone.  It seems this phone bends the rule or has some characteristic
> that
> makes it not work with most bluetooth headphones.  I've tried the
> "Bluetrek", Nokia's own bluetooth headphone and the "Jabra" bluetooth
> product.  They all would "pare" with the phone without problems but
> only the
> Nokia unit would actually connect (about 95% of the time). Although the
> "Nokia" works, it was not very comfortable, the battery charge would
> not
> last very long, and was not loud enough (in a car I found myself
> pushing it
> against my ear to hear).  The "Bluetrek" fits well but would not
> connect to
> the phone.  The "Jabra" (design similar to Bluetrek¹s) is also very
> comfortable but the unit I purchased (BT-200) would not connect
> either.  I
> contacted Jabra's customer service about this, they told me I needed
> to take
> the unit back and get the same model with a blue sticker that says it
> works
> with my model of phone (how crazy is that, same model with special
> sticker?).

1.  The Nokia uses the hands-free Bluetooth profile which is different
than the older headset profile.  The Freespeak (BT-200) had been out
for awhile when the Nokia 3650 was introduced.  Jabra updated the
BT-200's firmware to support both profiles several months ago and
designated the updated model with a blue sticker.  AT&T and Cingular
stores in the US carry these boxes.  Recently Jabra updated the retail
packaging and any in this new clear package supports all current
Bluetooth profiles.

2.  I have the Nokia HDW-2 Bluetooth headset.  I find it much more
comfortable than the Jabra Freespeak.

3.  The Bluetrek only supports the older profile and the company didn't
indicate any updates pending.

4.  You can send the BT-200 to Jabra and they will update the firmware
for no charge.

Bruce