OS X and Bluetooth - Smart Phones?

est est at lamar.colostate.edu
Fri Nov 21 03:15:07 PST 2003

This is a real newbie question, as I am about to plunge into the world of cell
phones for the first
time...

I am a Mac fanatic.  I want to control my computer with my phone via
Bluetooth, I want a color
screen that I can upload games, custom ring tones (from homemade .wav files) -
 I believe they are
called polymorphic ring tones..?  I also want the ability to backup the
contents of my phone like
the address/phone number list in case I lose or break my phone, too.  And,
notwithstanding, I
want to be able to somewhat customize the appearance, but it's not a major
importance.  A bigger
screen and maybe a flip-down to cover the screen would be nice so it doesn't
get scratched.

  I have heard of 'smart' phones, but was unable to find an ample amount of
information.  Really,
there's a lot of information to sort out and I haven't had the 'joy' of
getting screwed on a bad plan
or have a provider with bad coverage or whatnot.

  I can say that I have heard good things about Sprint's coverage in my state
(Colorado), especially
for the mountains.  They use the PCI spectrum, I believe, but don't know what
that really means,
other than I think it was an old section of bandwidth once dedicated to
schools, but they never
used it so the gov't took it back and auctioned it off to the suits.  I
digress.... what I want is one of
the better options that is out there.  Maybe not the best, but definitely
upper crust.... something
that I can grow into really well because I love OS X and technology in
general.

Thanks for any and all help regarding a very fuzzy issue,

EST