[BTM] Do Apple Keyboards and Mice work on start-up question

garrett Lists-In at mxm.com
Tue Sep 30 14:56:05 PDT 2003

Sometime 'round 09/30/2003 12:22 PM, so and so (Richard McKay) at such n
such (richard.mckay1 at virgin.net) graced my inbox with this brilliant
thought:

> Dan Frakes wrote the following:
>
>> According to the people I've talked to at Apple, the Bluetooth
>> mouse/keyboard do not work at startup, ever. They are not functional until
>> the Bluetooth drivers are loaded.
>>
>> That means that unless you have a *wired* keyboard, you don't have access to
>> any startup actions and/or services:
>
> Today I read that someone managed to eject a cd at startup with a bluetooth
> mouse and an iMac 1.25 (built in BT). link here:
>
> <http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-09-29#674>
>
> If it is not simply a false statement, then I am wondering if the built in
> BT models (at least the latest versions) are hardware recognised at start-up
> as the Firewire and Ethernet are and therefore with some limitations would
> also work?

I cannot see how that works since its the HARDWARE that needs to recognize
AND have support for the device - how would an iMac know that??? Unless they
have done something to the Bluetooth device and made it  some sort of
bluetooth/USB hybrid... hmmmm Apple must be doing something but I doubt it

I posted something to Macintouch.com today (under garrett) about Apple's
mention of startup and Bluetooth... even IT contradicts what this person is
saying.

-------
garrett