iSync/Bluetooth vs. Palm/USB

Andrew Currie me at andrewcurrie.ca
Thu Jun 3 18:19:12 PDT 2004

Since this list has been a little quiet lately (at least in digest
mode), I thought I might provide a little diversion in a tale of my
move to iSync and it's related apps from Palm Desktop for the Mac...

I'd been using Palm Desktop faithfully -- save for a brief affair
with Entourage that ended in a corrupted mail database -- and when
the Handspring Treo came along my dream of one address book anywhere
finally came true.

I had tried iSync with my Treo, but didn't really get the point... I
needed Palm Desktop for it to run anyway, so why not stay the course?
And so I did, until I began hearing the stories of how Palm's Desktop
Application was incompatible with Apple's latest and greatest Panther
OS. Around that time my cell phone provider had a deal on a Sony
Ericsson T616, so I tried it out with iSync, iCal and another app
called PhoneAgent for OS X.

I was, and continue to be, blown away. iSync works =so much better=
with my SE phone, and any calendar alarms I enter on either my it or
my Mac are faithfully copied to the other side. I've since moved on
to an SE Z600, and to sync it up with my Mac was a breeze; in fact, I
still switch back and forth between my two phones, and iSync doesn't
seem to mind at all.

PhoneAgent lets me do things I never could with my Treo, like upload
WAP bookmarks and back up each and every one of the insipid SMS
messages friends and I trade back and forth. And Bluetooth is the
icing on the cake -- no extra USB cables to pack!

Kudos to any developers reading this for making it all work. For the
rest of you, thanks for letting me share :-)

AC