Question about the Z600 and the Nokia 6230

Mitch Pilchuk mpilchuk at pilchuk.com
Sun Jun 6 19:06:58 PDT 2004

on 6/6/04 8:06 AM, Bluetooth-Mac at bluetooth-mac at lists.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

Andrew,
Thanks for the info on the powerbook and the Z600. I figured that the
connection would be slow.

I've been following the Nokia 6230 as a excellent solution, IF it all works
the way it should on a Mac.

I hope that Steve from digest 465 lets us know of his experiences with his
Nokia 6230, bluetooth, the Edge and his Mac. Here is a bit of info that I
got from this page:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=216855&Main=
216841

> Coming soon, however, is a Nokia 6230 phone, which has both EDGE and
> bluetooth.
>
> You can set up a connection easily using a bluetooth phone and a bluetooth
> Mac.
>
> Pair the bluetooth devices, then just make a new dialup net connection and
> have it dial *99# using the bluetooth modem and it'll work, assuming you have
> a data plan on your phone.
>
> If you can't wait for the 6230, there are several other bluetooth phones
> available now which will work fine, just not quite as fast.
>
> You don't need any of their software, as they don't know that Macs exist, but
> that doesn't mean it won't work. The "synchronization" software is to move
> phone lists back and forth from your computer to your phone; the Mac does it
> automatically with an OSX program with many phones. For data, as long as you
> can connect the phone to the computer, it'll work like a regular modem.

The Nokia 6230 supports the 'faster' of the AT&T's Edge connectivity.

Hopefully Steve can use the above info and give us some feedback on it.

Steve?

--
Mitch Pilchuk
Pilchuk Laser Printer Repair, Inc.