[BTM] Sony Ericsson Free T68i Replacement

Rob Parker Rob at ParkerDigital.net
Sun Mar 21 17:38:27 PST 2004

>After a year of no use, I checked into my local ATT dealer to see
>about turning on my T68i again hoping that the service might have
>changed. Imagine my surprise when they said that the phone had been
>recalled and that they were offering a replacement free!
>
>http://www.sonyericssonT226upgrade.com was supposed to be the trick
>except that the lady at ATT suggested that I push for the T616 as
>only the T616 had the Bluetooth that I had purchased the T68i to
>use. More later.

Yeah, they're passing off the T226 as an upgrade in order to convert
existing customers in certain markets to the 850MHz service band that
comes to AT&T as part of the Cingular buyout. The T226 is seen by
most everyone as a downgrade. There are reports of customers being
sent the new phone unsolicited, with instructions to return the T68i.
Failure to do so can reportedly result in additional charges to your
account.

There are reports of customers in good standing being able to change
to the T616 for a small fee but it takes some serious wrangling.
Perhaps they'd respond more quickly to a customer who was considering
switching carriers!

I'd go kicking and screaming if they tried to take away my Bluetooth.
Fortunately, I'm a T-Mobile customer and they seem to be a much more
flexible, progressive company when it comes to their customers'
desire to embrace new technologies. I had AT&T for a few years and
liked my service, but their unwillingness to provide a cost effective
GPRS data package for casual users will keep me away from them in the
future. I'm very happy with my T-Mobile service and appreciate being
able to use my Z600 as a Bluetooth modem for my PowerBook for less
than 5 bucks a month.

best--

Rob Parker