[BTM] Nokia 7610

Martim Weinstein emdub at mac.com
Tue Oct 12 11:42:21 PDT 2004

On Oct 11, 2004, at 17:54, Simon G. Trask wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> Is anyone using Nokia's 7610 smartphone with the Mac over Bluetooth?
> From http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,6771,56996,00.html (Multimedia
> Players) it seems that transfering audio and video between phone and
> computer in both directions should be possible. But there doesn't seem
> to be any software specifically to support transfer. I haven't used
> Bluetooth before. Would it work like USB or FireWire, so the phone's
> memory would automatically appear as a device on the desktop and you'd
> just drag and drop files in either direction?
>
> It seems like USB itself is also a possibility, with a special Nokia
> USB lead (apparently the 7610 uses a Nokia interface called a Pop-Port
> (http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,4629,00.html) which supports USB
> data transfer), and also the phone's 64 MB Reduced Size MultiMediaCard
> if not its internal 8MB memory could be read via a suitable card
> reader. But Bluetooth seems like the most convenient option.
>
> As for syncing calendars and contacts, is that reliant on Apple's
> iSync supporting the phone? If so, the 7610 isn't supported, according
> to Apple's iSync Device Compatibility page. Nokia has its own
> software, but only available for Windows (its PC Suite software). And
> how about using the phone as a modem via Bluetooth? Again, it seems
> Nokia only supports Windows with the necessary drivers, but maybe
> there's an Apple alternative?
>
> thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Simon

I've been considering this as my next phone. How are you finding it
overall? I was originally a "Nokia guy" but quickly switched over to
Sony Ericsson when their phones became 100% mac compatible and had more
features. Nokia seem to be finnally picking up the rhythm.
Unfortunately I see you have a lot of questions already which makes me
doubt it's integration with my Mac... especially bluetooth wise. Have
you been able to isync it? Transfer files through BT?

Any info will help my decision... thanks in advance.

Martin
-mw

Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?