[BTM] Re: Adding Bluetooth to a G5 Desktop

Robert Weller n6ne at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 09:36:58 PDT 2005

Hi Roger,

You can purchase the build-to-order bluetooth module
for your G5, but as I recall it is expensive -- about
US$100.  The main advantages of the BTO BT module are
stability, compatibility, and use of the built-in BT
antenna port.

The cheaper option is to purchase a USB BT module for
US$15, or so.  I added a 5-port USB PCI card to my G5.
 One of the USB ports is internal to the machine, so I
put the BT module there.  Even though the G5 case is
metal, the BT coverage is adequate if your
keyboard/mouse/mobile/whatever is close by.

The problem that I ran into with that approach is that
the USB BT module stops working after a few days and
has to be unplugged and re-plugged, which is a hassle
when it is internal.  So, I ended up moving the USB BT
unit to one of the external USB ports.  This stability
issue appears only because I leave my G5 on 24/7.  If
you turn yours on and off each day, I expect that you
could leave the BT module internal without any
problems.

Good luck.

Bob W.