Erratic and frozen cursors

Eric B. Richardson lbyron at comcast.net
Mon Dec 2 18:24:17 PST 2002

Sometime ago, people commented that their cursor jumped all over the
page as they moved it around. It was suggested that they are touching
the trackpad inadvertently as a cause.

Others complained that sometimes they would be using the trackpad and
the cursor would just freeze. The consensus seemed to be that it was
a static electricity problem, solved by putting the iBook to sleep or
shutting it down and restarting it.

I have had these problems as well, and have accepted these answers,
however, as the weather gets colder and the air gets drier, the
cursor becomes ever more erratic, and it freezes all the time,
requiring nearly as many restarts as a Windows machine. It is totally
unacceptable. I am very, very careful not to touch the trackpad with
my other fingers, yet sometimes it will take five or six strokes to
get to the point where I want  my cursor, several times getting
almost there, and then having the cursor jump away, like the cursor
and the point on the screen I am trying to reach are opposite poles
of a magnet.

What can I do to solve this? needless to say it makes it very
difficult to be productive.