[P1] Virtual PC Help?

david davidwb at spymac.com
Mon Dec 2 18:48:32 PST 2002

On 12/2/02 7:00 PM, "Alric J. Lam" <Alric.J.Lam at Dartmouth.EDU> wrote:

> I'm getting ready to cross into the dark side of the pc world by installing
> VPC XP Home onto my iBook 600, 30 gig, running OSX.2, with 384 mb ram.  I am
> reading up on the literature to make sure I do things exactly right, but I'm
> checking to see if any of you have suggestions of what to do and what not to
> do?  I am cross listing this to the OSX and iBook lists because I am sure
> there are things to watch out for on both sides, on how to make sure VPC runs
> well with OSX, and how to optimize VPC on an iBook......

In a word....don't follow through on this plan...okay, so that wasn't a
single word. I have the same machine as yours (more memory though) and I
found the following:

With Jaguar and VPC I was okay with Win98 SE although Win95 was much more
responsive. Anything newer than Win98 in Jag just wasn't usable IMHO. Now in
OS 9 I was quite happy with Win2000. I never bothered to install WinXP in
VPC but on my Gateway Win2000 is a tad faster than WinXP so I'd expect
similar results in VPC.

There really is that big a difference between OS X and OS 9 when it comes to
VPC performance. Mostly it is because of the way OS X multitasks. With OS 9
the front most application is able to virtually take over the computer
leaving no processing time for other applications. This isn't true for OS X.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by frost.

davidwb at spymac.com