[P1] Virtual PC Help?

Paul Bernhardt pbern10 at xmission.com
Mon Dec 2 20:12:39 PST 2002

Alric J. Lam said on 12/2/02 7:52 PM:

>Thanks for the heads up everyone.  I'll  give it a shot, worse comes to
>worse I'll have to buy a PC.  Hmm, maybe a Sony Picturebook.....  I wish
>Apple made laptops that small.....

I have virtually the same iBook and have installed VPC with XP on it.
would I use it regularly? Absolutely not. Is it usable for the occasional
need that can't be satisfied with a Mac? Absolutely! It will be
grindingly slow at times. But, it is not your regular use 'machine.' If
you feel after some time on this plan that you are wasting time waiting
for XP, then you need hardware, not emulation.

What percentage of your working day do you think you'll be using VPC?
Less than 10%? Probably will be no big deal to go with VPC. 20% or more?
You should seriously consider a minimal PC to do the job.

Of course, if mobility of *both* OSes simultaneously is important at all,
then you need to be VPC.

And, finally, consider if you really need XP for the 'Doze work you
intend to do.

Paul